Haslam Sports Group Diversity & Opportunity Fellowship Program
Cleveland and Columbus, OH
About Haslam Sports Group
Haslam Sports Group embraces the positive impact of sports and its unique opportunity to unify communities. Through the Haslam and Johnson families’ network of industry experience and relationships, their mission is to create world class organizations that achieve sustainable success, provide a best in class fan experience, and give back to their region. They see themselves as stewards of true community assets. HSG looks to invest in strategic sports and entertainment opportunities. Their current portfolio includes ownership of the Cleveland Browns, operating rights to Major League Soccer’s Columbus Crew, and an investment in Misfits Gaming Group, a global e-sports and entertainment company.
Fellowship Program Summary
The HSG Diversity and Opportunity Fellowship is designed to improve the pipeline of diverse future sports industry leaders by providing a unique, immersive, year-long sports business fellowship opportunity to high-potential, diverse recent college graduates. The fellowship program will provide a range of experiences in one or more sports business disciplines across the two major league professional sports teams that comprise Haslam Sports Group (the Cleveland Browns and Columbus Crew SC) to expand the participants’ knowledge of and experience in the business of professional sports, and prepare them for a successful career in this exciting and dynamic industry.
Fellowship Program Overview & Benefits
- Up to four fellows will be selected in a highly competitive application and interview process to join Haslam Sports Group (Cleveland Browns and Columbus Crew) for the twelve (12) month program immediately following their college graduation (early July – late June)
- Over the course of the year-long program, the fellows will rotate and gain substantive experience across one or more departments within one or more of the following four disciplines::
- Sales (may include ticket sales & service, corporate partnerships, suite sales & service and/or retail & concessions)
- Marketing (may include brand marketing, creative services, digital media, content & production, media, scoreboard operations fan experience & events, community relations and/or the Cleveland Browns Foundation)
- Operations (may include stadium operations, facilities operations, team operations, and/or communications)
- Administration (may include HR, finance, legal, IT, business analytics and/or ticket operations)
Discipline and departmental rotation(s) will be determined on an individual basis with each fellow based on fellow interest and departmental needs.
- In addition to the experience described above, HSG Diversity & Opportunity Fellows will receive the following benefits:
- Annual salary (paid every two weeks)
- Housing in Cleveland and/or Columbus (as applicable) for the duration of the program
- Real world, hands on experience in one or more disciplines for two professional sports teams (NFL and MLS)
- Formal education, mentorship and development throughout the program from staff at various levels at both the Browns and the Crew
- Additionally, while it is by no means a guarantee that fellows will receive a full-time employment offer with an HSG club upon conclusion of the fellowship program, HSG expects to provide assistance to its fellows in finding a full-time sports industry position (based on interest) and will keep in touch with program alumni well after the fellowship program.
- People of color, female individuals and other diverse candidates are encouraged to apply
- Candidates must be recent or upcoming graduates (Winter 2021 or Spring 2022) receiving a 4-year bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- All majors / disciplines of study are eligible to apply
- Minimum GPA of 3.0
- A passion for and knowledge of the sports industry is preferred and a positive attitude, strong work ethic, adaptability and intellectual curiosity are required
Application & Program Timeline (anticipated and subject to change)
- Applications Submitted: October 15 – November 26
- Interview Process November 26 – January 14, 2022
- HSG Fellowship Offers Extended: January 31, 2022
- 2022-2023 Fellowship Program Begins: July 18, 2022
- 2022-2023 Fellowship Program Ends: June 16, 2023
We look forward to reviewing your application.